"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest."-Matthew 28:11
This past Sunday morning we discovered one of the windows in the Gathering Space on Tokay had a rock thrown through it. Sadly, we began the work of clearing it away before 8AM worship. Many helpers made quick work of the task and a report was made to the non-emergency police. In a couple of weeks, the window will be new, and we will move on.
Here are some perspectives from last Sunday:
- One person suggested we post "You're forgiven," while a nearby friend added, "but please don't do it again!"
- One person said "I'm sorry, what can I do to help?"
- Three Sunday School dads jumped in and took care of most of the clean up.
- Several people offered to help with any repair costs not covered by insurance.
- One person handed me a message to consider posting over the broken window, "Welcome, come find peace in the midst of pain."
This last suggestion was an invitation to the one who threw the rock and seems like words straight out of Jesus' mouth. The broken window will be repaired in two weeks, and we will forget. But the person who did this is out there and needs our prayers, our care, and our community. In the days ahead, may we embody Jesus' mercy, reaching out to our world with the words: "Welcome, come find peace in the midst of pain."